[pytest-dev] Transfer of pyfakefs to pytest-dev - second try

hansemrbean hansemrbean at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 1 03:04:25 EDT 2022

This is a followup to an earlier thread (
https://www.mail-archive.com/pytest-dev@python.org/msg02835.html) a year
and a half ago, where I asked if it would be possible to transfer pyfakefs (
https://github.com/jmcgeheeiv/pyfakefs) to pytest-dev. This was eventually
declined, mostly because pyfakefs is not a pure pytest plugin, but also
supports unittest and other test environments.

The maintainer of pyfakefs, John McGehee, has contacted me, and asked me to
take over, as he will not be able to maintain the package anymore. While
discussing this, we again came to the conclusion that moving the repository
to pytest-dev would make much sense. I asked Bruno Oliviera (who helped
with with the transfer of pytest-order) in a private discussion, and he
encouraged me to try again, so here I am...

I want to reiterate the reasons for the transfer I gave last time, and
maybe elaborate a bit more.

- ensure continued maintenance: I will be the only maintainer now, and the
move to an organization would make it possible to add other owners, and
will probably make it more likely to find another maintainer (given the
visibility and size of pytest-dev). There is also the bus factor, which I
cannot discard given that I'm not young.

- increase compatibility with pytest and pytest plugins,

- improve visibility of the package, especially for pytest developers:

pyfakefs was originally developed inside Google with the possibility to
mock some filesystem modules and later released on GitHub; John McGehee
added specific support for unittest in 2014, and another contributor added
pytest support in the form of the fs fixture a bit later (2015). Since then
the usage of pyfakefs has steadily drifted from unittest to pytest, as can
be seen by the usage in other repositories (I did some usage statistics for
dependent repos in GitHub) and by new issues, and the support for pytest
has been improved. I personally like pytest and see it as the superior
testing framework, so I'm also interested in improving the compatiblity of
pyfakefs with other pytest plugins - which will be easier if it is clearly
visible as part of the pytest environment.

- ideally, benefit from the larger community to get more code reviews and
issue reports: if think this is obvious.

Last time it had also been proposed to move to https://github.com/PyCQA
instead, but I really don't see a match here.
https://github.com/cogs-of-testing had also been mentioned, and while it
sounds like a good match, it has yet to be brought to life.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to make pyfakefs better
compatible with pytest-dev, or if you need more information.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas