[pytest-dev] Transfer of pyfakefs to pytest-dev?

mrbean-bremen hansemrbean at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 5 13:59:43 EST 2021

After the successful transfer of pytest-order (thank you for that smooth
experience!), I have been thinking about the transfer of another library
- pyfakefs - where I am a contributor. I have been discussing this with
the package maintainer, John McGehee, who is also in favor for this, and
decided to first ask here if that is feasible.

pyfakefs (https://github.com/jmcgeheeiv/pyfakefs) is a library that
mocks the file system. It has originally been developed by Mike Bland at
Google, later transferred to GitHub (after the shutdown of Google Code
in 2011), where John McGehee has forked it, added direct support for
unittest and doctest, and has maintained it since then (with my help
since a few years ago). Later a contributor added support for pytest via
the fs fixture, with more support for pytest following eventually. Today
the fs fixture is probably the main means to access pyfakefs, judging by
the issues and the dependent repositories.

So, while pyfakefs is not a pure pytest plugin, and it doesn't follow
the naming convention pytest-xx, we thought that it would be a good idea
to transfer it to pytest-dev, with the following goals:

- ensure continued maintenance

- increase compatibility with pytest and pytest-plugins

- improve visibility of the package, especially for pytest developers

- ideally, benefit from the larger community to get more code reviews
and issue reports

For reference see also https://github.com/jmcgeheeiv/pyfakefs/issues/590

What do you think? Thanks!