[pytest-dev] [core] Tidelift Funding

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Thu May 2 13:22:50 EDT 2019

Hi Bruno,

On Wed 01 May 2019 at 17:25 -0300, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> So my question is: how do the core maintainers feel about pytest joining
> Tidelift?

Thanks for the wait-and-see approach taken, I likewise have shifted my
opinion on this from some scepticism to mostly positive.  So if there's
a few people interested in pytest joining tidelift I'd be happy to
support this.

> If we are to join, there's the question about how to split the funds over
> the core maintainers. I propose we follow how other projects are handling
> it:
>
> * The amount is split evenly between active maintainers. By "active
> maintainer" here I mean that has been participating in discussions and/or
> contributing PRs "lately". I think every core maintainer is reasonable
> regarding being active or not, so I don't expect misunderstandings here.
>
> * If an inactive maintainer becomes active again, they will start to get
> their share on the next payment (by the end of every month as per Tidelift
> policy). Same if an active maintainer stops activity.
>
> With the above guidelines, I would say the current "active" core
> maintainers are Daniel, Anthony and myself, with Ronny joining back soon.

Why the rules about active?  Seems complicated and more open to
arguing.  I liked the Pillow guidelines you linked:
https://github.com/orgs/pytest-dev/teams/contributors can express
interest and https://github.com/orgs/pytest-dev/teams/core decides on
split (which I guess can be anything from 0% to 100%).  With the same
assumption that the core members are reasonable that should end up as
roughly the same.

Mind you in practice I have no issue with the above proposal of people
right now, but would also not mind if e.g. hpk or ronny wanted to be
part right now (I'll pass myself).  Likewise there are probably cases
where I wouldn't mind people not in core being paid for some time.

But in general I'm +1, let's make it happen if there's anyone interested
in getting paid.

Cheers,
Floris