[pytest-dev] pytest 3.1 warning capture woes

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Mon May 29 13:57:26 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

Ronny and I discussed a bit on GTalk and realized that perhaps we can fix
the current warnings plugin and avoid having to disable it entirely: simply
removing the filter installed in
https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/blob/master/_pytest/warnings.py#L56 might
be sufficient to fix the affected suites. Installing that filter
unfortunately overrides all custom filters because it will take priority
over everything else. I did a quick test with the example posted in
https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/issues/2430 and it does work.

New proposal: create a PR with the fix above and test it in a few of the
suites mentioned in https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/issues/2430. If
this actually fixes it, we can make a 3.1.1 release which is now just a
simple bug fix.

We did discover however that this will *not* show deprecation warnings by
default though. To make them appear, we need to install a custom filter but
we are not sure which filter to install at the moment.

Thoughts?

Bruno.