[pytest-dev] the potential need to release 4.0 instead of 3.1, proposal

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Thu May 18 13:25:51 EDT 2017

On 18 May 2017 at 13:56, Bruno Oliveira <nicoddemus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:47 AM Ronny Pfannschmidt
> <ich at ronnypfannschmidt.de> wrote:
>>
>> that pr that changes all classes, i'd like to keep it, just communicate
>> the changes correctly
>

> Floris, Florian, Holger, are you guys OK with that? I'm fine either way.

Personally I don't object the change either, though I agree with
Holger's thoughts on doing something like this and being conservative
often pays off, but sure it is more annoying.

My main objection was purely on the fact that we basically disobey the
deprecation policy right after introducing it by doing this.  If we do
go with Ronny's approach of just bumping the version number when
breaking backwards compat (which is what setuptools and pip and the
like do afaik) then we really should update that policy to reflect so.
I just thought the reason the policy was introduced was because of
user feedback on our earlier behaviour where we usually randomly
justified breakages because it made development more convenient.