[pytest-dev] Google Summer of Code

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 15:33:58 EST 2017

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 1:10 AM Ana Ribeiro <aninhacostaribeiro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> About what would we gain from that, Google gives U$D 5,500 for every
> student who completes the program plus U$D 500 to the organization for
> every student mentored... So if we had like 4 students, plus the
> contribution to the project, we would get maybe new contributors to the
> project, plus U$D 2,000 (which is not a lot, but to a small organization
> such as Pytest, it would mean a good addition).

Hmm that's interesting, didn't realize that. That money would be a welcome
towards our next sprint.

> I think that many people that I meet in Sprint could be a great mentor
> (you, Bruno; Brianna, Holger, etc)... I would say that maybe it would take
> like 5 hours a week per student (Dave, is it too much or too little?)... We
> have to present an idea list, so it would be good if every possible mentor
> could present at least one idea. I created a fake organization profile just
> to see the application form, and then I copied what I found here:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ilHJDlvm2hj4y9CEW_belAOBJzVARdzMb3ubxCdEUY/edit?usp=sharing

About ideas, I think we have quite a few small enhancements which could be
tackled by a new study, for example:

* get rid of "ImportMismatchError" #2042
* add option to see skip reason and verbose #2044
* RFC: parametrizing conditional raising with pytest.raises #1830
* Allow users to explicitly specify the path of the root directory #1642

We have some other improvements which are larger in scope, such as
eventually integrating pytest-catchlog into the core, there's a discussion
on how to handle asyncio test functions, etc.

Plus there's always a ton of bugs to solve.

Who wants to volunteer for mentoring? :)

> Another thing, I just saw that Python accepts sub org applications, for
> example, those were the sub orgs that worked with the main python
> organization last year:
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2016#Python_Sub-orgs_and_Project_Ideas,
> we can try to contact python org to see if Pytest can apply to be a sub org
> of Python.

Sounds good. Besides the visibility, what else applying as a sub org
entails?

Cheers,
Bruno.