[pytest-dev] the sorry state of pylib tests and pylib

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 09:59:16 EDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:07 AM Ronny Pfannschmidt <
opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de> wrote:

> as things stand we have to maintain it until py.test no longer depends on
> it
>
> a 2.0 release that kills py.code is a non-option as any project dependign
> on ot will be limited in py.test version

Don't we already vendor py.code in pytest? That makes it independent from
what's installed on the system, at least as far as py.code is concerned. My
idea was just to remove parts which py.test does not use or is vendored in
(svn and py.code come to mind).

> my plan is to de-vendor bits of pylib (like iniconfig, apipkg)

You mean remove them from pylib and publish them as isolated packages?

How do others feel about having pytest depend on more packages? I'm usually
fine about it, but would like to know others opinions.

some have been lone projects at the beginning anyway (apipkg and iniconfig
> got only vendored due to the bad state of packaging
>
> stuff like svn can be removed as it is completely broken
> basically once we de-vendored the bits we use and removed the py.path
> dependency of pytest,
> we can put pylib into a abandoned state

About py.path, we could implement a backward compatible interface which is
implemented as a thin layer in terms of pathlib (I think we discussed this
on GTalk some other day).

Cheers,
Bruno.