[pytest-dev] What is the best path to walk in building a mental model of the py.test codebase?

Andrew Farrell amfarrell at mit.edu
Sun Jul 26 05:20:49 CEST 2015

Hi Folks,

I'm starting out reading through the py.test codebase in order to:
1) Educate myself on how test frameworks are structured.
2) Experiment with using pieces of the_silver_searcher
<https://github.com/ggreer/the_silver_searcher> or reducing the number of
missed stat() calls python makes to increase the speed of test discovery.
3) Be able to figure out answers to specific questions I have such as "How
do I get specific subsets of tests to run when the -k or -m options don't
seem to actually prevent tests from being run?"

If it isn't too much trouble, does anyone here suggestions for what the
best order to follow when reading the codebase? Any contributors that could
retell how they built a clear mental model of it when they started?

Thank you,
Andrew