[pytest-dev] Releases

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Aug 25 12:10:00 CEST 2015

* Floris Bruynooghe <flub at devork.be> [2015-08-25 09:45:31 +0100]:
> Hello,
>
> On 9 August 2015 at 23:45, Bruno Oliveira <nicoddemus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I also think we should release 2.8 directly.
>
> Yes, a release which supports python 3.5 would be nice.  AFAIK we
> could just release 2.7.3 without any work so if someone wants to
> release that I think you should just do it.

The Python 3.5 PR[1] was merged to master - it'd need to be backported
to the pytest-2.7 branch first, right?

[1] https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/801

> > There are a couple of issues/PRs that should go into 2.8, IMO:
> >
> > - Merge pytest-cache into core
> > (https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/828); I think Ronny is working on
> > this;
> > - Release pytest-xdist 1.13, so we can merge "non-zero exit code if no tests
> > are collected" (https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/817); I think
> > Ronny is about to release 1.13;
> >
> > Actually, merge all PRs that are pending would be a good target, as they all
> > seem like good additions to a new major release.
>
> These are nice to have, but not strictly needed.

Most of them are merged in the meantime:
https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pulls

There are only 4 open:

- https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/908 by Elizaveta239
  Apply indirect=True on particular argnames

  It seems work is going on to get it merged.

- https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/878 by ronny
  reencode non-ascii python2 assertion reprs

  Apparently that's actually a bug in pylib - should this still be
  merged to have a workaround until the real bug is fixed, or should
  this be abandoned?

- https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/831 by ronny
  stop running yield test setupstate at collection time

  I'm not sure what the state of this is - seems like it's waiting for
  review?

- https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/828 by ronny
  merge the pytest-cache plugin into core

  I think ronny wanted to finish this somewhen soon.

> > I think Holger also said before that he would like to vendor pluggy into
> > pytest before releasing 2.8 thought. Is there anything here that we can do
> > to help?
>
> This on the other hand is more of a blocker.  I think what we need is
> some code in setup.py which automatically fetches the required pluggy
> version from pypi and vendors it when  making sdists and wheels.  At
> least while pluggy versions are < 1.0.  Once that's done we should be
> able to release 2.8 without any problems.

What's the motivation to vendor pluggy rather than depending on it and
letting packages distribute it?

I also opened an issue for that recently:

https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/issues/944

Florian