[pytest-dev] plugin status page

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 09:08:08 CEST 2013

Hi Holger,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 4:52 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 21:51 -0200, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> > Hi Holger, all,
> >
> > <snip>
> > I have updated the script to create a tox.ini file that just uses
> "py.test
> > --help" as a test command for those packages that don't have one. Now the
> > script tests all pytest plugins in pypi, please take a look at the
> summary
> > at the bottom of the page:
> >
> > https://www.travis-ci.org/nicoddemus/pytest-plugs/jobs/12959702
>
> looks good!  I guess having a py27 and py33 row would be great
> to also determine py3 compatibility/installability.

Those are already in place as different build jobs, please take a look:

https://www.travis-ci.org/nicoddemus/pytest-plugs

Currently we have py27 and py33 against pytest 2.3.5 and 2.4.2. Adding more
python/pytest versions is easy, we just have to add them to the .travis
file. :)

https://github.com/nicoddemus/pytest-plugs/blob/master/.travis.yml

> > I guess it would be useful to identify which plugins are using just
> > "py.test --help" as smoke test and which ones have real tests, since the
> > former doesn't guarantee that the plugin actually works on that
> > python/pytest combination.
> >
> > I looked into devpi to simplify the download/unpack/test process and
> > stumbled in a minor roadblock: is there anyway to provide a tox.ini file
> > for those plugins that don't have one? This is the only issue I see right
> > now with using devpi for this particular application.
>
> Now, but i am going to add a "devpi test -c path-to-ini" option today
> and plan to release devpi-1.2 real soon now.  I'll get back here when it's
> implemented.

Perfect, that would greatly simplify things. Let me know if there is
anything I can do to help.

> So, what do you think of the idea of using devpi.net to host test results
> > and add an endpoint to the API to provide test status images? Or should I
> > create another app to do this?
>
> What do you mean with "test status images"?

In general i am open to extending devpi-server to provide more test-status
> info -- just didn't have a chance to think about it in detail yet.
> I guess we could take the plugin testing bits as a starting point.

I mean like those badge images served by travis that give the current build
status, for example:

https://secure.travis-ci.org/hpk42/pytest.png

I think we can follow the same approach, generating a badge that gives the
full compatibility status, like a single "py 2.6 2.7 | pytest 2.3.5 |
compatible" image, or even multiple images.

But I guess this is too specific to pytest...

Cheers,
Bruno.