[pytest-dev] plugin status page

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 15:06:37 CEST 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 3:52 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> > Done, opened a PR for discussion and reviewing. :)
>
> only got to it now, looks good so far!

Bummer, I thought merging it would automatically resolve the issue I
created (as in GitHub)... oh well. :)

> I think we will have to maintain the repository list manually. Package
> > authors can help as well by simply opening PRs adding repositories for
> > their plugins I guess.
>
> What about generating a "plugin details " page for each plugin so we don't
> have to think too hard about what to put in the index page?

That's a possibility, for sure.

> > > A very interesting bit will be the "2.4.2 compat" and "dev" compat
> > >

> > Some late night quick hacking and I have come up with this proof of
> concept:
> >
> > https://www.travis-ci.org/nicoddemus/pytest-plugs
> >
> > As it is right now it serves only as a prove of concept, of course. The
> > idea is using travis to handle running things for us, driving it using a
> > script that downloads and run tests using tox. We can then collect json
> > information from that and POST those results back to devpi. Also we can
> use
> > its build matrix to test against different pytest versions, for example.
>
> Hum, interesting.  Is this mainly to make use of travis-ci's build hosts?

As Florian said, mainly so you don't need to have a dedicated host to run
those scripts yourself.

> What is the advantage over just invoking "devpi test PLUGIN-NAME" from the
> script to automate the download/unpack/test/post-results steps?

I didn't use devpi at that point because of my limited knowledge of devpi
at the moment, but that is certainly the next step.

I will work on that next, and also work on generating a default tox.ini
file for plugins that don't have one as you suggested.

> > I guess we can implement in devpi a concept similar to travis build
> status
> > imagens, which we could then use in the plugins_index page.
> >
> > Against python 2.6 the script is failing, I have yet to investigate.

I found the reason for that (http vs https) and now the job runs against
Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2 and 3.2.

Thanks!  Got back but caught a flue ...

It happens, hope you get better soon. :)

Cheers,
Bruno.