[pytest-dev] plugin status page

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 04:52:11 CEST 2013

Hi Holger,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 14:21 -0300, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> > Hi Holgen,
>
> hi Brunon! :)

Hehehe, oops.

> > On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > - i'd collapse NAME and VERSION columns to save space, i.e.
> > >   "pytest-bdd-0.6.1".
> > >
> > > - what about adding download numbers?
> > >
> > > - as to code organisation: you can leave it as is for now or (maybe
> > >   better) put all code and generated files into a dedicated directory

Done, opened a PR for discussion and reviewing. :)

> > > - we should try to collect repository locations. maybe parsing
> > >   for github/bitbucket urls would yield most of them automatically?
> > >   Maybe we need to add some manually.
> > >

> > May I ask why we would need the repository locations? I mean, to work on
> > the compatibility feature we can work directly with packages in pypi or
> > devpi...
>
> purely for the person reading the page and wanting to look at the code
> or do a PR.

Oh I see! Well, parsing the urls seems problematic, because we also have to
take in account the username ("hpk42/pytest" for example). I looked at the
GitHub and BitBucket's rest APIs to see if we could use them for searching,
but it seems only GitHub at the moment has a search API (and in beta stage
at that).

I think we will have to maintain the repository list manually. Package
authors can help as well by simply opening PRs adding repositories for
their plugins I guess.

> A very interesting bit will be the "2.4.2 compat" and "dev" compat
> > <snip>

Some late night quick hacking and I have come up with this proof of concept:

https://www.travis-ci.org/nicoddemus/pytest-plugs

As it is right now it serves only as a prove of concept, of course. The
idea is using travis to handle running things for us, driving it using a
script that downloads and run tests using tox. We can then collect json
information from that and POST those results back to devpi. Also we can use
its build matrix to test against different pytest versions, for example.

I guess we can implement in devpi a concept similar to travis build status
imagens, which we could then use in the plugins_index page.

Against python 2.6 the script is failing, I have yet to investigate.

great, i am travelling to Pycon DE tomorrow morning but should be online
>  from time to time.

Nice tripe and good PyCon!

Cheers,
Bruno.