[pytest-dev] [pytest-rerunfailures] pytest-rerunfailures not using fixtures on reruns (#10)

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Apr 23 09:16:41 CEST 2013

Hey Leah,

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 15:08 -0700, Leah Klearman wrote:
> Hey Holger,
>
> Thank you for the timely patch. I haven't seen Bob online today, but
> hopefully he'll be able to test it very soon.
>
> A word of warning: your calling of runtestprotocol() is not quite right
> > and might lead to problems.  "nextitem" should really be the item that
> > is going to be run next.  So if you re-run three times the first two
> > invocations should have nextitem=item.
>

> I agree that that would be ideal, but it only re-runs the test if it fails,
> so I
> would have to know the future in order to know what value to send nextitem=.
> Since hopefully most tests pass the first try, sending nextitem instead of
> item seems to be the better answer.

FYI pytest perform teardown/finalization according to nextitem:  if your
next item uses different fixtures, the "item" ones may be torn down
(it also depends on the caching scope of the fixtures).

Do you generally want to re-run the setup or could you also settle
on just re-running the "call" phase of a test?  The latter one would
be easier and probably not disrupt fixture mechanics.

best,
holger