[py-dev] Testing web services

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Mon Mar 14 00:22:11 CET 2011

Hello all,

I'm thinking about how to go about testing
web services in a new services-oriented
application framework we're working on.

Are there any assisting libraries, tools,
hooks or plugins to make this job a litt
easier with pytest ?

Right now, I'm taking the naive approach which is
to simply start the application in a ``setup_module(...)``,
perform the necessary tests, then shut the application
down in a ``teardown_module(...)``. I was simply going
to be using ``urllib`` to perform requests against it
and assert it's results.

Maybe there's a more sophisticated way ?

In the end, we will likely setup and use selenium
to do more rigorous system testing, but right now
I'm looking for more service-level testing at the
data/logic layers of our application.

cheers
James

--