[py-dev] Greenlet

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Wed Sep 1 12:55:54 CEST 2010

Hi Richard,

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 09:20 +0800, Richard Tew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the past, I believe py included the greenlet c extension source
> code.  I am not sure that you do anymore, or how this affects you now
> that it may only relate to older releases of your source code, but I
> would like to mention that the py library as far as I can tell
> effectively relicensed Python licensed code under the MIT license.
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

That is correct but there also was a note that parts of the lib
may have a different license ...

>   http://codespeak.net/svn/py/branch/py-compat-2.5.2/py/c-extension/greenlet/

It should have been mentioned there, not sure it was in the final release ...
probably not :/

> The files sourced from Stackless presumably by Christian for use with
> Armin in the creation of greenlet, were contributed to Stackless and
> subject to contributions from multiple parties, under the Python
> license.  I am pretty sure that Christian did not, and was more than
> likely unable to relicense them to the MIT license on behalf of those
> parties.

I guess so as well.  OTOH i think MIT and Python license are not that
far away from each other.  In any case, greenlets are not part of the
py lib for a long time now so i don't intend to do anything on that front.

> Anyway, I've brought this up with the greenlet project here:
>
>   http://bitbucket.org/ambroff/greenlet/
>
> And since that was spun off the py lib, I thought I would mention it here.

Thanks for the info.  I agree to your comment on the issue there that it's
all a bit unfortunate to concern ourselves and I also guess it makes sense to
just say that greenlet is MIT *and* Python-licensed for now.  So everybody
who needs to care should make sure they comply to both licenses (which
is not really hard and there hardly is anyone likely to ever challenge usages).
just my 2cent and sorry for probably having played a part in the
unprecise original license tracking.

best,