[py-dev] error on trunk in py.path.svn support

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Aug 19 19:02:34 CEST 2008

Hi there,

I just tried the trunk of Py with my project which makes very heavy use
of the py.path SVN facilities, and I get a lot of errors that look like
this:

       File
"/home/faassen/buildout/z3c.vcsync/py/py/path/svn/wccommand.py", line
  270, in status
         rootstatus = XMLWCStatus(self).fromstring(out, self)
       File
"/home/faassen/buildout/z3c.vcsync/py/py/path/svn/wccommand.py", line
  687, in fromstring
         for c in commitel.getElementsByTagName('author')[0]\
     IndexError: list index out of range

It looks to me like a certain assumption about the format of the XML
returned is incorrect.

The SVN version on my system is svn, version 1.4.3 (r23084)

When debugging it, the XML that trips up the code looks like this:

<entry path="/tmp/pytest-23/wc">
<wc-status item="normal" props="none" revision="0">
<commit revision="0">
<date>2008-08-19T16:50:53.400198Z</date>
</commit>
</wc-status>
</entry>

It looks like this means there is not always an 'author' entry in this
XML structure.

Attached is a patch to wccommand.py that makes the problem go away (and
indeed seems to fix the original problem I was looking into - the trunk
has support for the svn status flag R, something that py 0.9.1 didn't have).

I realize this patch isn't enough but needs a test as well. I could find
no obvious way (in the form of documentation, say, the README.txt, or
the website) on how to actually run the tests of the trunk. :)  It's
quite possible I missed something.

Is py 0.9.2 to be based off the work on the trunk?

Regards,

Martijn