[py-dev] py.test and editors (Re: [issue57] Emacs and py.test tracebacks)

Ralf Schmitt schmir at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 19:14:25 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 6:32 PM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> another thing with setuptools: the way that py.test is
> installed as a console script modifies the py lib lookup:
> py/bin/py.test usually looks for a py lib upwards
> from where you invokve it (the curdir) with the help of _findpy.py.

sometimes I have the feeling that you're using too much magic...

> this is important at least for pypy and when you are using py.test
> to work on the py lib itself.   Do you have an idea
> how to preserve this logic with setuptools?  Specifying
> a module import path probably does not work because
> then there is no chance anymore to influence which
> py lib gets loaded.

setuptools creates the following py.test script for me:

#!/home/ralf/py26/bin/python
# EASY-INSTALL-ENTRY-SCRIPT: 'py==0.9.2-pre-alpha','console_scripts','py.test'
__requires__ = 'py==0.9.2-pre-alpha'
import sys
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

sys.exit(
   load_entry_point('py==0.9.2-pre-alpha', 'console_scripts', 'py.test')()
)

I would rather be surprised if it used anything else than py lib
version 0.9.2.-pre-alpha.
Can't you just use the inplace installation? (i.e. eval py/env.py)?
py/bin/py.test is still there..

- Ralf