[py-dev] Re: [pypy-dev] New code-templating system for py.lib

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Mar 12 14:58:08 CET 2006

Hi Patrick,

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 04:35:44PM -0600, Patrick Maupin wrote:
> I would be interested in seeing what templating ideas you are
> currently using in pypy.  They certainly are not being used
> consistently.

Indeed, consistency is definitely what we don't have.  It would be very
interesting, though, if you could survey the various ways we have to
build *Python* functions from strings -- your current docs show examples
producing C, LLVM or Makefile code.  Producing Python comes with its own
problems.  Basically, grep for "exec" in the PyPy sources, for example in:

  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/dist/pypy/objspace/std/multimethod.py
  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/dist/pypy/rpython/rtuple.py

as well as (I almost don't dare pointing you there :-)

  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/dist/pypy/interpreter/gateway.py

A bientot,

Armin