[py-dev] Hi! And py.log :-)

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Oct 4 00:51:16 CEST 2005

[holger krekel]

> Actually I would like to sit together with you for some hours sorting
> out usages/scenarios and designing the API accordingly.

I spent the afternoon with the application designer, staring at the
logging calls within only one of our numerous Python modules.  It looks
like the mere inventory of logging cases is going to be a big job.  So,
I'm not ready to give you a complete picture of the problem here.  On
the other hand, even an incomplete picture could be useful to shake a
few ideas, if it does not cast decisions in stone prematurely.

> Just to mention it already: i am thinking of doing a py lib
> hacking/sprinting session around Pycon US 2006.

I'm of course willing to sit with you, and anybody else interested.
Presumably each of us at our terminal, as I'm not much of a traveller,
and I also guess you do not live in Montreal or suburbs :-). You're
thinking of IRC, probably?

> we work commonly on some (non-main-page linked for now) feature
> descriptions/api scenarios in py/documentation/log.txt to sort out the
> goals.

Sounds good.

> Implementing it is less of a deal, i think and we can first do it by
> introducing py.log2 until the API is settled/tested by real code.

Besides, py.log is currently not such a big thing.  It likely have
enough flexibility already that I can make things work for us here,
before they really get available in the mainstream.  I'm ready to adapt.

> Maybe Grig is also interested in participating in that effort.

I surely thank him for having provided a visible pointer to py.log!

The fun thing is that we started using py.test in that project not so
long ago (the administrators accepted that I use experimental software),
so now pushing for py.log was much easier, given the proximity! :-)

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca