[py-dev] core design of py.test broken?

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Wed Jan 5 02:05:37 CET 2005

In a message of Wed, 05 Jan 2005 01:50:35 +0100, holger krekel writes:
>On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 19:45 -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 2005, at 7:42 PM, Laura Creighton wrote:
>> >I am thinking about 2 test sessions running simultaneously, one
>> >checking that all tests pass
>> >with python2.3 and one with python2.4
>> >
>> >We would like if a running test, trying to do the 'build this in
>> >SetUp', found
>> >that the thing was _already there_, waited until that particular area
>> >was free
>> >to use.  Else they could collide with each other.  Do we have a way to
>
>> >communicate:
>> >BUSY:  stay out until I am done?
>>
>> Why not use a platform-specific directory for temp files like distutils
>
>> does?  Seems to make a lot more sense than "this file might be used by
>> some other process, or it might be garbage that will never go away so I
>
>> will just sit here and wait for eternity".
>
>Yes, indeed this may be a good idea for filesystem-based setups/teardowns
>.
>And in-process states are obviously not a problem for e.g. running
>tests simultanously with Python2.3 and Python2.4 as this can only
>happen in separate processes, anyway.
>
>    holger

What do we want to happen when the python versions we are testing against
each other are 'holger's before lunch' and 'holger's after lunch version'?
In the longest run, we will want to be able to run the same test suite with
different object spaces.  What is going to be the most convenient way to do that?

Laura