[py-dev] Setup.py for the py library

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Fri Feb 4 00:53:48 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 23:30 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> Oh, I've been looking in the py\bin directory. If I understand
> _findpy.py, this searches for the "py" library on the assumption that
> it's *not* in sys.path. So, if the py library is installed on
> sys.path, am I right in thinking that _findpy isn't needed?

_findpy first searches directory-upwards to find an importable
py lib.  This allows to have multiple versions/checkouts for
multiple projects (some people really have that :-) and have
the "local" one used.  Basically this avoids the disruptiveness of
managing library versions at global level.  It's admittedly a
bit hacky but serves its purpose well so far.  However, with
setup.py's we may want to eventually fall back to just try to
import py if we can't find it otherwise.