[py-dev] doctests again

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Tue Apr 26 10:56:00 CEST 2005

Hi Ian,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:29 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
> I'm just checking in... is there any preferred way to do doctests with
> py.test now?

No, there is no prefered way yet.  To properly integrate it
into py.test I still need to look up the exact
mechanics of doctests and solve two issues i think:

- how to integrate them into the collecting process

- how to report them (the current report logic
  has a two unittest-specific view with respect
  to reports about failing tests)

> Holger mentioned something, but he hadn't integrated
> reporting yet or something.  But fancy reporting or not, I'd like to run
> those doctests too...
> I can dig up that old recipe I posted a while ago,
> but maybe there's a better way to do it now.

Your old recipe would not work unmodified because there is no
'extpy' anymore.  Actually i'd like to write some
documentation about the (refactored) collecting process and
think about how to integrate them into the collecting process.

> Does doctest.DocTestSuite() work okay?

Sorry, I am not exactly sure what you are refering to here.

> I haven't looked at the unittest compatibility since it was
> mentioned.

There is no general unittest compatibility, except for running
certain regression tests via py.test on PyPy.  At some point i
want to factor out the PyPy hacks into a generally useful
compatible runner of traditional unittests but that's not too
high on my priority list.

cheers,