[py-dev] towards a 0.8.0 release!

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sun Apr 24 22:07:21 CEST 2005

Hi Paul,

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 20:22 +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
> I just did a quick test of bdist_wininst and it failed to tidy up
> properly, I think largely because it couldn't remove the Subversion
> directories.

What exactly failed?  The .svn-directories are installled
as data files so i am curious why it doesn't work.
And does that mean that the installation and i invoking
'py.test' worked?

> I strongly disagree with the idea of including the
> Subversion control stuff in the installed copy, in any case. In my
> view,  you shouldn't be doing "svn up" in your site-packages tree,

.. it's also 'svn info' and 'svn diff' that is useful IMO ...

> rather you should be doing it in your build tree, then building a new
> installer and running it.

That should of course work but it's not neccessarily
excluding the other approach.

> This keeps the registry of installed packages up to date.

I guess you are refering to the Windows registry, right?
What information is in there exactly?  Like a list of
packages with versions and the list of installed files
or some such?

> Of course, on Unix where there is no uninstall facility (if
> you puse setup.py install, at least) this is less of an
> issue, but it is true on Windows.
>
> Is there any chance of changing the decision to include the .svn
> directories - on Windows, if not elsewhere?

Yes, there are chances.  I'd like to understand the problems
better, though.  Doing things too differently on windows
and unix is certainly undesirable.

> Other issues with setup.py - it doesn't seem to build C extensions -
> greenlets, specifically,

Sorry, C-extensions are not built at all currently.

> but I notice that popen5 (_subprocess.c) is included as well
> - is this right?

Yes, the py lib aims to run on python 2.2 upwards.

> If so, I'd expect it to be excluded from Python 2.4 and
> above builds (which is problematic as long as there are no C
> extensions included, as in that case the installer is
> version-independent).

Indeed, greenlets & subprocess will probably make the
installer version dependent, i am afraid.   Is it black magic
to build version dependent installers or is it rather straight
forward?

> Sorry, but I'm not able to go much further with this at the moment. I
> hope the above comments are of some help in any case.

Yes, thanks a lot!