[pypy-dev] [External] pypy3 Multiprocessing Socket Issue

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Thu May 20 13:41:44 EDT 2021

On 20/5/21 7:45 pm, Moulton, Tom via pypy-dev wrote:

> I'm using pypy3.7-v7.3.4-linux64 (Python v3.7.10) but have also
> tried pypy3.7-v7.3.5rc1-linux64
> & pypy-c-jit-102427-77787b8f4c49-linux64.  I'm seeing an issue that
> does NOT occur when using regular Python 3.7 (CPython v3.7.10).
> OSError: [Errno 24] Too many open files

> Thoughts on how I might overcome this issue so I can see if using
> pypy3 over CPython 3 garners better performance for my specific
> application?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom Moulton

Without seeing your code it is difficult to be specific. Typically this
is caused by not closing allocated resources. CPython uses reference
counting, and so it implicitly releases resources when they go out of
scope. PyPy does not. Are you calling socket.close() or fid.close() when
you are done with them? Also see this section of our documentation
https://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/cpython_differences.html#differences-related-to-garbage-collection-strategies

Matti