[pypy-dev] macos buildbot offline

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Wed Jul 8 16:39:10 EDT 2020

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020, Matt Billenstein wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 11:12:45AM +0300, Matti Picus wrote:
>> I think 8GB is fine. Tell me when you would like to give it a shot. I have no
>> idea what version of macOS is the minimum needed. You can set it up following
>> https://foss.heptapod.net/pypy/buildbot/-/blob/branch/default/README_BUILDSLAVE
>
> Here's the script I use to bootstrap the worker - note a few requirements in
> homebrew in the comments:
>
> https://gist.github.com/mattbillenstein/944a1ce60e8522405ecd014f651fe21c

Oh man, mac life is hard... just bricked one mini, trying to erase the
hard drive and reinstall the OS :-/

Apparently something went wrong during the erase, and now everything
including El Capitan panics upon booting the installer, probably due to a
kernel bug in com.apple.driver.CoreStorage, which leads to the meltdown
due to this particular evil type of disk corruption.

I wonder which options do I have other than taking the thing apart and
zeroeing the hard drive with Linux - just odered a Thunderbolt cable -
maybe I could get to the drive using Target Disk mode and zero it without
getting it out of the machine...

Gonna try my luck with another mini tomorrow.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev