[pypy-dev] Building PyPy for FreeBSD, OpenBSD

Laurence Tratt laurie at tratt.net
Mon Aug 31 09:30:36 EDT 2020

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 02:46:02PM +0200, figdev--- via pypy-dev wrote:

Hello,

> This is more about OpenBSD than FreeBSD (I've talked to maintainers for
> each) but I'm curious about the requirements for building PyPy (especially
> 2.7 compatible) from source.
>
> For GNU/Linux I just download the binary you provide, but OpenBSD
> maintainers have to build it themselves. (There was a FreeBSD binary here,
> 64-bit only, a long time ago.)
>
> For FreeBSD, they have having loads of trouble because they have deprecated
> CPython 2.7, which they use to build PyPy. I bet you can use PyPy to build
> PyPy, but if you're doing everything from source that's a Catch-22 if you
> don't have CPython, isn't it? (You would think they would just compile from
> a previous binary).

The easiest thing, almost certainly, will be to generate a bootstrap using
CPython 2.7 (even though it's deprecated, I would expect it to build without
any patches) and host that somewhere -- it'll be easier, in general, than
trying to host pypy (n-1) somewhere, as you'll end up with problems when
things like shared libraries change, and you'll have to rebootstrap pypy.

Laurie