[pypy-dev] PyPy3: is bytecode really incompatible between releases?

Armin Rigo armin.rigo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 10:32:02 EDT 2019

Hi Matti,

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 15:34, Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:
> #DEFAULT_SOABI = 'pypy-%d%d' % PYPY_VERSION[:2]
> DEFAULT_SOABI = 'pypy-41'
>
> So do we update it across the board for each change in the cpyext ABI?

No, my point was that if we want to do that we should first split the
usages, and only update the version used for C extension modules.  In
other words we should not update it for cffi modules (which is
unlikely to ever change, and I can check but I think the same .so
works for pypy2 and pypy3, so maybe a version number is not needed at
all); and also not for .pyc files (which should just be "pypy-36" for
pypy3 implementing python 3.6, and if at some point we really want to
add a new bytecode, then well, we'll think again, I suppose).

A bientôt,

Armin.