[pypy-dev] PyPy 2.7 v7.0.0 on ARM HF

Jorge Herskovic jherskovic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:13:03 EST 2019

I use PyPy on a Raspberry Pi 3 to drive Octoprint - it's faster than using
Python, and more entertaining. The lack of a v7 for ARM was frustrating,
and I tried cross-compiling my own.

All I found were the instructions for 2.4.0, and I adapted them the best I
could. Unfortunately I couldn't hit the combination of Raspbian and Ubuntu
(or Debian) that would compile; headers were missing, or something else
invariably broke. In frustration, I ended up translating PyPy using a
completely emulated system under QEMU running 32-bit Debian Jessie.

The good news: it worked! The translation completed successfully.
The bad news: It took 48,800 seconds on a fairly current CPU. I don't
recommend it for testing.

Cheers,
Jorge