[pypy-dev] Python 2 vs Python 3 again, and a 2.x-only dependency

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 07:22:30 EDT 2019

Hi Ryan

RPython has no plans to move to python3. There are no dependencies
that we can't vendor that will become a problem. We expect Python2 to
be available (and pypy stepping in if necessary) for a long time in
the future.

The reason is very prosaic - it's a lot of work for absolutely no
reward. It has nothing to do with a vision and opinions etc. The only
win we would have is that we can then drop support for having Python 2
interpreter. But we're not going to do that! Vast majority of PyPy
users use Python 2 and it might stay that way for quite some time.

Best,
Maciej Fijalkowski