[pypy-dev] PyPy 3 for Windows 64-bit systems - no download link available

Janzert janzert at janzert.com
Tue Oct 23 10:44:40 EDT 2018

On 10/22/2018 17:13, Barry wrote:

>> On 21 Oct 2018, at 19:04, Armin Rigo <armin.rigo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,

>>> How odd. sys.maxint on macOS and Fedora is (2**63)-1 not (2**31)-1.
>>
>> That's because MacOS and Fedora are not Windows.
>
> Do you why windows is unique in this respect?
>
> Barry

 From what I understand the underlying cause is because 64bit windows
(or more specifically the visual studio C compiler) uses an LLP64
(IL32P64) data model* while most 64bit unix based systems use LP64
(I32LP64).

The previously linked article on getting a 64bit windows pypy talks
about the size difference for long but doesn't spell out the data model
explicitly.

Hopefully that helps clear up where the underlying issue comes from.

Brian Haskin

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing#64-bit_data_models