[pypy-dev] Slowdown on latest 3.5 nightly?

Armin Rigo armin.rigo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 23:29:36 EST 2018

Hi Matti,

On 20/11/2018, Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/11/18 4:50 pm, Donald Stufft wrote:
> If you have extra time, maybe you could even try the unicode-utf8-py3
> nightly, http://buildbot.pypy.org/nightly/unicode-utf8-py3 which is a
> WIP to use utf8 internally everywhere without converting back and forth
> to unicode. It would be nice to know if that is any faster (or even works).

That's even assuming the slow-down is in any way related to unicodes.
I think we might as well assume that the slowdown is not related to
any change in the code and due to other random effects.  If we want to
know more precisely what is going on, the first step would be to get
the real code that is unexpectedly slower on one pypy than on the
other, and try to run it ourselves---e.g. inside gdb, to start with.

Armin