[pypy-dev] Leysin Winter sprint: 17-24 March 2018

Armin Rigo armin.rigo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 05:35:36 EST 2018

      PyPy Leysin Winter Sprint (17th - 24th March 2018)

The next PyPy sprint will be in Leysin, Switzerland, for the thirteenth
time.  This is a fully public sprint: newcomers and topics other than
those proposed below are welcome.

(Note: this sprint is independent from the suggested April-May sprint in
Poland.)

------------------------------
Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

The list of topics is open, but here is our current list:

- cffi tutorial/overview rewrite
- py3 test runners are too complicated
- make win32 builds green
- make packaging more like cpython/portable builds
- get CI builders for PyPy into mainstream projects (Numpy, Scipy, lxml, uwsgi)
- get more of scientific stack working (tensorflow?)
- cpyext performance improvements
- General 3.5 and 3.6 improvements
- JIT topics: guard-compatible, and the subsequent research project to
save and reuse traces across processes
- finish unicode-utf8
- update www.pypy.org, speed.pypy.org (web devs needed)

As usual, the main side goal is to have fun in winter sports :-)
We can take a day off (for ski or anything else).

-----------
Exact times
-----------

Work days: starting March 18th (~noon), ending March 24th (~noon).

I have pre-booked the week from Saturday March 17th to Saturday March
24th.  If it is possible for you to arrive Sunday before mid-afternoon,
then you can get a booking from Sunday only.  The break day should be
around Wednesday.

It is fine to stay a few more days on either side, or conversely to book
for a part of that time only.

-----------------------
Location & Accomodation
-----------------------

Leysin, Switzerland, "same place as before".  Let me refresh your
memory: both the sprint venue and the lodging will be in a pair of
chalets built specifically for bed & breakfast: http://www.ermina.ch/.
You can also arrange your own lodging elsewhere (as long as you are in
Leysin, you cannot be more than a 15 minutes walk away from the sprint
venue).

Please *confirm* that you are coming so that we can adjust the
reservations as appropriate.

The options of rooms are a bit more limited than on previous years
because the place for bed-and-breakfast is shrinking; but we should
still have enough room for us.  The price is around 60 CHF, breakfast
included, in shared rooms (3 or 4 people).  If there are people that
would prefer a double or single room, please contact me and we'll see
what choices you have.  There is a choice of hotels in Leysin, starting
at 65 CHF the room.

Please register by Mercurial::

  https://bitbucket.org/pypy/extradoc/
  https://bitbucket.org/pypy/extradoc/raw/extradoc/sprintinfo/leysin-winter-2018/

or on the pypy-dev mailing list if you do not yet have check-in rights: