[pypy-dev] numpypy include files

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 05:04:44 EST 2017

Ok, thank you, I fixed&committed.
About me being the first to report: actually, I think it's because there is
a lot of confusion around about numpy+pypy.

I started to investigate this because I saw by chance a colleague switching
from installing numpypy to installing numpy. When I asked, he just said
that his C extension did no longer work with numpypy on newer versions of
PyPy. And as a result his code ran slower (because for his particular
workload numpypy is better).

So, lesson learnt:
  - people are confused about this numpy vs numpypy thing, Also, the fact
that the numpypy repo is called "numpy" does not help, as they tend to
think it's just an outdated copy of the offical numpy.

  - it's hard to find docs about this: the only docs I found are
http://pypy.org/download.html which is not the first place I'd look at :)

So: what is the current status of numpy vs numpypy? Is the latter still
maintained or is it slowly dying?

If numpypy is still relevant, I propose to hack things so that:

1) we have a dedicated page about numpy either on pypy.org or readthedocs

2) when you execute pip install numpy, it installs the upstream numpy but
also displays a link to that page

3) pip install numpypy works as well (and displays the same link).

What do you think?