[pypy-dev] cppyy fails to build on gcc 5 and clang

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:27:24 EST 2017

Hi Antonio,

>> Note: for now I am fine, I managed to build it using gcc 4.9 toolchain.
>> Need to see how far I get with captnproto now ..
>>

> ​if you are interested in capnproto, you might want to try capnpy: it's
> written in pure python and it has been designed to be super fast on pypy
> (and it's very fast on CPython as well):
> https://github.com/antocuni/capnpy
>http://capnpy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Fantastic!!

Actually, if this is true (performance), this would be wonderful - I can
spare my nerves (hello C++, you are a moooonster!), and eat my cake ..

The benchmarks

http://capnpy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/benchmarks.html

for scalar attribute access look awesome (close to mere instance access).

Structured value access (lists/dict): bigger difference. I am also
concerned about GC pressure - is it still "zero copy"?

Note: I am purely interested in performance on PyPy ..

In general: I thought it would be a good idea to use capnproto C++
generator, and then cppyy to get the best performance (on pypy). Given
there is "antocuni/capnpy", do you think this is a pointless endeavour?

--

Anyways, thanks so much for that hint - I will try it. (I will try the
other hints given to me by Ryan and Wim too, since I already consumed

Cheers,
/Tobias