[pypy-dev] Bump DARWIN_VERSION_MIN to 10.7?

Armin Rigo armin.rigo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 05:57:42 EST 2016

Hi all OS/X users,

On 8 October 2016 at 12:59, Jeremy Thurgood <firxen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently tried to build RevDB on OS X and the build failed because
> __thread isn't supported on OS X 10.6 which RPython specifies as the
> minimum supported version.
>
> I've updated DARWIN_VERSION_MIN to 10.7 in the reverse-debugger
> branch[1], because otherwise it doesn't build at all on OS X. Armin
> suggested that there would be a performance benefit to increasing
> DARWIN_VERSION_MIN for pypy as well (along with adding darwin to the
> SUPPORT__THREAD list). I would like to make this change, but I don't
> want to break pypy for anyone who may still need OS X 10.6 support.

Someone with OS/ user should look at this as well:
https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/issues/2432/problems-with-pypy-on-osx-dyld-symbol-not

There are maybe other similar places, too; you'd need to grep around
to find them.  Making all such places dependent on a single variable,
like this DARWIN_VERSION_MIN, would be a good start.

Then we can decide to bump the minimum OS/X version to 10.7, to get
__thread in the normal PyPy too.  This involves making sure that
__thread is really used systematically then, i.e. there is no "if
platform == darwin" that would disable their use here and there.

If no-one shows up, the current situation will not change (not using
__thread has performance implications, notably in calls to C functions
around which we release the GIL).

A bientôt,

Armin.