[pypy-dev] starting a release cycle

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:27:26 EDT 2016

On 02/11/16 17:42, Richard Plangger wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Would someone else like to pair with me for the release so they could do
>> the next one?
> Yes, I would like to help out here! In cape town I have done the same
> release procedure for pypy3 (Python 3.3). It annoyed me :)
>
> I think most of the steps could be done automatically (ideally a script
> that is started on a server and runs to completion there, passing
> through all steps from kicking buildbot, downloading, repackaging,
> uploading to bitbucket, generating checksums, ...). @mattip what do you
> think? Would that make sense to try to automate that?

There is are the force-builds.py and repackage.sh scripts in
pypy/tool/release, I just edit repackage.sh by hand before running.
AFAIK there is no API to bitbucket for uploading.
We could maybe write something to automate the edit of
pypy.org/source/download.txt
I don't know about the trade-off of where automation maintenance becomes
more expensive than just doing it by hand
Everyone has their own break even point
Matti