[pypy-dev] Is it possible to make PyPy smaller?

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Jun 30 17:09:45 EDT 2016

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, Armin Rigo wrote:

> In the end the libpypy-c.dll is probably more compressible than
> CPython's, so by compressing it you regain some of that factor.  You
> don't regain all of it by far, though.  You don't get a complex JIT
> compiler for free, for example.

So, just out of curiosity, with a very old and outdated version of upx:

         File size         Ratio      Format      Name
    --------------------   ------   -----------   -----------
   40565248 ->   7155712   17.64%    win32/pe     libpypy-c.dll

That's 7M! Surely the latest version must be able to do a bit better.

Now, the complete PyPy distribution, compressed with a very old and
outdated xz --best is around 14M, and it's even a bit smaller if you
compress the libraries with upx first.

I think that's a fair price to pay for a powerful JIT, isn't it? On top of
that, as I said, one might have some luck playing with the compiler flags,
but I think it's hardly worth it.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev