[pypy-dev] how to extend VTUNE support from pypy for application hot spot analysis

Wang, Peter Xihong peter.xihong.wang at intel.com
Thu Jul 28 19:24:38 EDT 2016

Hi,

Armin created a minimum working version incorporating VTUNE to a branch at: https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/branch/vtune
This works in a sense such that statistically meaningful micro-architecture data could be collected.  However, for hot spot analysis, we'd like to trace back to the Python application source code.
We know the VTUNE hook point, but don't know how or where to start from the rpython source code.  I ran gdb against pypy binary and found it really hard to get to the entry point/or knowledge we wanted.

Could anyone give us some hints?

Thanks,

Peter