[pypy-dev] State of GUI toolkits with PyPy?

Eric Driggers admalledd at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 19:32:44 CEST 2015

I have a preference against web-based UIs for things that are meant to
exist/run just on my one machine. Especially since some of these are
shorter-lived but "heavy" scripts (working with them for only a few
minutes).

So the short update that I can see is:

* There is/was work with WxPython as a GSOC project, but that has been
left to mostly stagnate. ( https://bitbucket.org/waedt/wxpython_cffi )
I was unable to reproduce any of the demos/tests easily, probably a
bit too much time has passed for someone like me to be able to pick it
up and carry on. Would need an amount of love first from someone
knowledgeable to bring it forward and be develop-able again.
* https://github.com/rguillebert/pymetabiosis (aka: use CPython for a
GUI toolkit via embedding the interp into PyPy), although quite the
nice workaround I feel that if you are going to have to fall back to
CPython (and thus install all the modules required there) I might as
well stay with CPython for these scripts
* cffi: aka "the hard way", write hooks/wrappers into toolkit of choice myself.
* Some form of web-based GUI (eg flask+bootstrap, RapydScript, and
more): Although I like web-interfaces, they are not appropriate for
every use case. Thick, heavy workloads bound to one computer do not
integrate or scale easily with python-based webUI stuff from my
experience.
* https://github.com/lazka/pgi works wonderfully and will probably be
what I use here on out.
* https://bitbucket.org/dholth/pysdl2-cffi Bit more work to get
started, but nice if you need some of the bells and whistles SDL2
brings (joystick inputs, easy-ish GL use)

Thanks Ryan for pointing me to PGI, few examples I have run worked
wonderfully so far for all the widgets I need.