[pypy-dev] Vectorizing numpy traces

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Feb 25 01:12:12 CET 2015

On 02/24/2015 11:17 PM Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
> Hi Richard.
>

> I will respond inline
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Richard Plangger <rich at pasra.at> wrote:
>> hi,
[...]
>> (1) Is there a better way to get loops hot?
>
> no, not really (you can lower the threshold though, see pypy --jit
> help for details, only global)

PMJI, but I am curious if it would be possible to change pypy to use
mmap'd files for all memory allocations for heaps and stacks
so that the state of hotness and jit state could be captured.

Files could be virtually large, since UIAM physical allocation does
not occur until write, or at least is controllable.

The idea then would be to write programs with a warm-up prelude function,
and then have a checkpointing module with a method that could write a
specially stubbed ELF file along with all the file data, so that the ELF
would be an executable whose _start would get back to the checkpoint module
where everything would be restored as it was checkpointed, and execution
would continue as if just returning from the call to the checkpointing method,
which would be after the forced warmup prelude.

Sorry if I am intruding.
Regards,
Bengt Richter