[pypy-dev] numpy installation

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 22:09:02 CET 2015

On 11/02/15 11:46, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
> Hey
>
> There is STILL no clear installation path for PyPy + numpy, with no
> instructions anywhere, can you please do something about it?
>
> Ideally pip install numpy-pypy should work and we should be done (this
> + info on pypy.org will do)
>
> I asked about this months ago, if noone picks it up, I'll deal with
> it, but this is by far the biggest problem for PyPy+numpy users (they
> can't install it).

The current installation procedure ensures the users get the latest
version, with no lag for an extra packaging step after pushing to bitbucket.

IMO we should not concentrate on packaging right now. We need to make
pypy/numpy more mature, i.e. pass much more of the numpy test suite,
before we make it too easy to install. Are we really ready for a deluge
of users who file issues with incomplete or erroneous numpy compliance?

Anyway, the packaging problem can be solved by someone well versed in
python + cffi but with no rpython knowlege. The limited time of the
current numpy contributors, again IMO, would be better spent on
finishing features, passing more numpy tests, or creating compelling
reasons to use our version, such as lazy evaluation, automatic
vectorization using specialized hardware, etc.

Matti