[pypy-dev] Porting PyPy/rpython to Python 3

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 21:34:06 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

For the last little bit I have been working on porting the rpython
toolchain to Python 3. My initial goal is to get either pypy2 or pypy3 to
build with either pypy2 or pypy3.

I had gotten the impression from some previous statements that these
efforts would not be welcome, so I was doing my work in a private fork.
After a few conversations at PyCon, though, I was encouraged to package
some of these changes up and send them as a series of pull requests.

A couple questions/thoughts:

1. I am happy to send the pull requests up using bitbucket. Rather than do
a big dump, I will send up chunks that each address a particular issue
across the entire codebase. Even if a PR touches a number of files, each PR
will implement the same change so that correctness is easy to check. If
these PRs are not wanted, let me know, and I will stop sending them up.

2. I am initially doing this work in a way that maintains 2/3 compatibility
- my check before each major commit is whether I can still build pypy using
pypy2. Would the pypy devs be willing to make building pypy be 2.7+ only?
That way I could use __future__ imports to ease some of the porting.

3. I will likely vendor or require six before I am done. Let me know if
this would likely be a problem.

4. At some point in the future, I plan on reworking the rpython toolchain
in various ways - use python 3 function and type annotations so as to make
the flow of types be easier to see, fully split out the rpython and
non-rpython bits, etc. Again, I am happy to do this on my own, but will
gladly contribute upstream if wanted.

Thanks,
Van