[pypy-dev] cppyy and callbacks

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Wed Jan 29 02:31:07 CET 2014

Hi Alex,

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, Alex Stewart wrote:
> Speaking as somebody who is currently using cppyy to build a Python binding
> for a large already-existing third-party C++ library, I have to say I think
> that moving cppyy in that direction would be a substantial step *backwards*,
> making cppyy substantially less valuable and useful.  Please don't do this.

no, that's not the plan. The two approaches can live next to each other.

> I agree that there are a few areas where cppyy could be better at
> *allowing* you to be explicit if you want to

Right, but I've never found an occasion where a C++ helper did not resolve
such problems. And with Cling, these helpers can be embedded (CFFI-style), so
that may be enough of a solution. (Dunno, is a matter of try-and-see.)

Btw., just to show I have some code (and to allow anyone to comment if there
are any takers), I've checked in some code that is the first step towards a
Cling backend. Is still far from functional, but I have to start somewhere.

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net