[pypy-dev] Building -pie binary

Roberto De Ioris roberto at unbit.it
Mon Jan 27 07:06:49 CET 2014

Hi, while trying to simplify the usage of pypy in uWSGI, i started working
with pie mode (gcc -pie option).

Position independent executables can be dl-opened (at least) on Linux and
OSX as normal shared libraries.

As dealing with libpypy-c is basically messy, this could be a solution.

I think distributing a -pie enabled binary package would push adoption of
uWSGI+pypy solutions (currently the biggest deployment i have found rely
on libpypy-c distributed by my company that is months old), and generally
will simplify the embedding of pypy in other apps.

I still have not tried to translate a pypy source tree with -pie flag, so
maybe nothing will work (even if i do not see why). I will make an attempt
in the next few hours

Regards

--
Roberto De Ioris