[pypy-dev] Experiments with PyPy and libgccjit

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 11:53:46 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 6:35 AM, Ryan <rymg19 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know; it just seems weird, since LLVM and libgccjit seem to hold
>> similar concepts (though there's a 99% chance I'm wrong; I just glanced over
>> the libgccjit description).
>>
>> What I *really* wish PyPy could have would be a C-- backend. *That* would be
>> insanely awesome and would probably blow the C backend out of the water.
>
> You seem to have a lot of opinions. Can you back this one up with something?

To clarify my question:

C-- looks like a cool idea, but not very actively developed. I would
expect to run into bugs or just missing features.  Some parts are
obviously more suited for compilers than say C, but I would expect GCC
(and to some extent LLVM) to be more mature and have better
optimizations. I would need to see some evidence of C-- being used by
someone else than original author before trying to evaluate it.

Cheers,
fijal