[pypy-dev] trying out STM for some numbers on more cores

Davide Del Vento ddvento at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 30 18:59:43 CET 2013

Hi Armin,

On 10/29/2013 03:54 PM, Armin Rigo wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Davide Del Vento <ddvento at ucar.edu> wrote:
>> I don't know. But I do know that processor/thread binding (if that is what
>> you mean by "pin") is *extremely* important in Sandy Bridge, even more than
>> on previous archs. And, oddly enough, in my experience is more difficult to
>> get it right than on previous arch.
>
> Can you point to more information about this?

Well, as I said "in my experience". I can talk about it right here and
some runs I did, if you so desire, but I can't point to anybody saying
so "officially".

I can point you to the following, which also shows that the runtime we
use is pretty different (MPI and OpenMP, often from Intel or other
proprietary compilers):
https://www2.cisl.ucar.edu/resources/yellowstone/using_resources/runningjobs#env_variables

Ciao,
Davide