[pypy-dev] Using RPython for a semi-statically-typed language

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 02:01:14 CEST 2013

Hi Ryan,

I'm not sure this completely answers your question, but the JIT does let
you tell it when a class is statically known:
https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/src/061674dab6430beb1645f43449fc114a09d58834/rpython/rlib/jit.py?at=default#cl-979so
this may help you.

In general RPython (and the JIT), are designed for dynamically typed
languages, but "semi-statically" may be the same as dynamic for all intents
and purposes (I'm not sure).

Alex

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Ryan Gonzalez <rymg19 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in need of a little assistance. I am thinking of writing a language
> in RPython. Now, here is what I want:
>
> -Polymorphism(C++) without pointers, i.e., Derived can be implicitly cast
> to Base
>
> I am thinking of picking RPython because of the JIT. However, I am worried
> about the speed. I know the JIT PyPy generates is fast, but if it's the
> same speed as PyPy itself, someone would easily pick PyPy or Topaz or the
> like.
>
> My question is: For a somewhat statically-typed language like I am
> planning, are there any extra optimizations I could add to make the JIT
> work faster? Since the variables have types, I was thinking there might be
> a way to make it work faster.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Ryan

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084