[pypy-dev] some stm links

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Mon Nov 25 18:05:45 CET 2013

Hi all,

during OOPSLA I came upon some papers/projects that may be relevant to
the STM effort, that I found interesting (though I haven't read them in
detail yet, just skimmed).

IBM Research Japan is doing a project to try to eliminate the GIL of
Ruby's C VM using HTM extensions of various processors (mostly IBM
stuff, I think):

http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/view_person_subpage.php?id=4800

CDSChecker is a model checker for concurrent C/C++ code that claims to
put a lot of effort into making the model checker efficient, to be able
to scale to interestingly sized programs:
http://demsky.eecs.uci.edu/c11modelchecker.html

An STM paper from OOPSLA 2003 won the "most influential paper award":
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/papers/2003-ls4lt.pdf

Just though I'd throw these out there.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich