[pypy-dev] curses_cffi and others

Stefano Rivera stefano at rivera.za.net
Fri Mar 1 12:30:18 CET 2013

Hi Armin (2013.03.01_12:54:09_+0200)
> We need to think about how we want to support cffi-based modules in
> PyPy.  So far the idea is to include the official release of CFFI
> together with regular PyPy installations.

The related question is: How do we ship CFFI modules in PyPy? Import all
the cffi modules once after translation to produce the cached shared
libraries?

> Then, how can we disable "pip install cffi" from breaking everything
> up by installing a different release of cffi on top of PyPy?  Is it
> enough to detect in cffi's setup.py "oh, it's PyPy and cffi is already
> installed, so I'll do nothing"?

That sounds reasonable. I guess it should print something about that and
exit 0.

> Should it still check that the version number matches, and complain if
> it doesn't?

Is there going to be a backend API version that's independent of the
cffi version?

At any rate, reporting that the backend is incompatible with the
requested cffi seems reasonable.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera