[pypy-dev] Question about cffi cache dir

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 13:40:22 CEST 2013

Hi Michal

On Saturday, 10 August 2013 10:06:48 Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil at suse.cz> wrote:
> > It seems that
> > __pycache__ is not created during a build, but on runtime, so my attempt
> > to build pypy using pypy ends on
> >
> > [   66s] IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> > '/usr/lib64/pypy-2.1/lib_pypy/__pycache__/_cffi__g7019d5d3xad93c709.c'
>
> I'm not sure, but I would believe the problem to be different: it's
> *expected* that there is no directory __pycache__ there.  What the
> error message is telling you is that some module from
> .../pypy-2.1/lib_pypy/ did not have its CFFI part correctly compiled
> at installation.  Can you find out which module it is?  E.g. it should
> be in the traceback.

When creating the port on FreeBSD for PyPy I encountered a similar problem.
It was solved, by doing in the build/installation stage:

# pypy -c 'import _sqlite3, _curses, syslog'

Make sure you run this with the appropriate permissions (root when installing
or same user that build pypy for the build stage).  This will create the
required shared library (.dll or .so) files required for cffi.

Please have a look at pypy/tool/release/package.py for the correct procedure
to install PyPy.

Regards